This ultra rich Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole is the perfect low carb, keto-friendly side dish!
If you love cheesy goodness, you have come to the right place! This Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole is a life saver when you need some good ole, keto-friendly comfort food! This dish has become my stand in when I’m craving old school mac and cheese.
This version is just as hearty and satisfying as your classic favorites, but without all the carbs! If you’ve read this blog long, you know I’m big on comfort food. First going gluten-free meant I needed to adjust all my favorite recipes, then going keto meant I had to do it all over again!
It’s really paying off, though. Making sure I have recipes I love is what has been keeping me on track. Having comforting dishes like Keto Shrimp & Grits or this Instant Pot Keto Beef Stew has made this transition as easy as can be! Now that we’re adding this low-carb alternative to mac & cheese, maybe these tasty, healthier recipes will help you out, too!
Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole Ingredients:
This recipe features basic ingredients you probably already have on hand. Keep scrolling for specific ingredient amounts in the recipe card, but here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need:
- Unsweetened almond milk (You can use regular milk if you’re not keto)
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese (Highly recommend a high-quality cheese… It’s a big star in this dish!)
How do you make Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole?
You need to follow a few basic steps to make this dish. Begin by removing all the stems from a head of cauliflower. Place the cauliflower in an 11×7 baking dish lightly greased with olive oil, then roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
While the cauliflower is roasting, prepare the cheese sauce. In a small pan combine the butter, garlic, milk, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Whisk until the mixture is smooth, then stir in the cheddar until completely melted. To finish the sauce, bring the mixture to a slight simmer until it has thickened.
Finally, pour the cheese sauce over the roasted cauliflower, top with more shredded cheese, and bake 20-25 minutes.
Can I Steam the Cauliflower Instead of Roasting?
Yes, if you prefer to steam the cauliflower, you can steam 7-8 minutes until the cauliflower has softened slightly. You need to either roast or steam the cauliflower before adding the cheese sauce to help release the moisture. If you skip this step your cheese sauce is likely to be more watery than you’d like.
- 1 medium size head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (regular milk is fine if not keto)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Begin by removing all the stems from a head of cauliflower. Place the cauliflower florets in an 11×7 baking dish lightly greased with olive oil. Roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, prepare the cheese sauce. In a small pan combine the butter, garlic, milk, heavy cream, and cream cheese over medium heat. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar until completely melted. Bring the mixture to a slight simmer until it has thickened.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the roasted cauliflower, top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes.